Question:
Are Baby boomers going to ruin us economically?
Giggly Giraffe
2006-01-03 10:37:37 UTC
Population wise we're at an inverted pyrimid. Old out number the young (population boom atfter WWI, and invention of birth control).

It seems that my generation does not have a fighting chance. I feel like I'm needing to supply my grandparents, and parents with excessive medical needs (@ a high cost) and retirement needs (@ high cost) mainly out of guilt and respect. Then when I'm voting,I feel the AARP has trumped me because of the inverted pyramid.

What can we do to avoid being crushed without disrespecting out elderly???
Three answers:
Bill
2006-01-03 10:54:09 UTC
Yes, baby boomers are going to bankrupt the country. Baby boomers are and have been this country's worst nightmare. Baby boomers will be the first generation to live to an average age of 90. Not only are they the wealthiest generation (inheritance and IRAs) they will be the ones that demand the most entitlements such as free health care.

The worst hit will be in Social Security and health insurance.

The baby boomers are the spoiled brat generation.

I am speaking from experience. I am a baby boomer.

One of the things that should have been done was Social Security Reform that the President was going to do. The Baby Boomers are such a large voting block that they quickly killed that.

One thing the baby boomers got right is to say "Don't Trust any over 30"
zigiezeitgeist
2006-01-04 06:54:11 UTC
Nah, the baby boomers will drive the developement engine so as they age, techniques to slow down or stop aging will be developed. Oddly enough, the boomers, who will be funding and seeking the breakthroughs, probably won't make the cut,(they will die before they are fully developed) but the next generation will rake in all the positive inventions and medical miracles and will live to be a ripe old age of say 300 years or so (give or take a few hundred),so... quit bellyaching, geeees, the future is yours, baby.
nenahk
2006-01-04 17:45:06 UTC
As a practical matter it seems inherently logical that as the BB's retire they will become more conservative in their spending and investing habits. In our economy it is apparent that nothing happens til somebody sells somehing OR somebody buys something. This propensity is at once our greatest strength AND our greatest weakness and BB's certainly will play an ever increasing part in it.