Question:
Is there any way we can stop the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer?
pluto2006
2006-01-29 14:57:14 UTC
Is there any way we can stop the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer?
Eleven answers:
st18
2006-01-29 15:14:22 UTC
There is no societal problem from the rich getting richer, because inevitably they give back. The problem then is how to keep the poor from getting poorer (and putting their hands out to the rich). I say let's erase the government programs, which too many lazy people rely on, and educate the poor that having too many kids costs money!!!
superscribe
2006-01-30 06:36:38 UTC
Yes, we can collectively organize the political willpower to stop the rich from getting richer and the poor poorer, but then we'd have a Communist regime.

Since 1989, we know that Communism doesn't work. In fact, an astute writer said that "capitalism is riches unequally shared, whereas communism is poverty equally shared."

However, in the case of free-market capitalism, there are self-correcting mechanisms which ensure the system evolves. Not so with communism.

To get back to the question, we could stop the rich from getting richer, but then we would stop progress because it is the very prospect of becoming rich that drives entrepreneurs to create new value (for example, the Yahoo! founders obviously wanted to become rich, and that certainly drove their imagination as well as ingenuity in creating an Internet business that would "constructively alter the daily lives of millions of people." (in their own words).
bostoncowboy62
2006-01-29 23:07:19 UTC
Sure! People can take responsibility for their own lives and stop blaming failures on others. They can say "I can" instead of "the Man (whoever that is) won't let me." They can pay attention in school, apply themselves to problems instead of being defeated without trying. They can take what they earn and put some away instead of spenind it all or using credit cards. The can get, and keep, a job, not leaving one until they get another. They can actually work at that job instead of expecting pay for nothing. Just showing up doesn't earn you a paycheck. You can take calculated risks and avoid stupid get-rich-quick schemes. Let's see, there are probably a lot more things a person can do, but this will get you started.
Ariel M
2006-02-01 19:18:19 UTC
I don't think you can/should stop the rich from getting richer. But for the poor, I think education is the answer. (Better education!)
loligo1
2006-01-29 23:11:31 UTC
The so called poor getting an education and getting a good job like I did.
deedlebay
2006-01-29 22:58:41 UTC
Vote for Democrats! Republicans don't care about anybody else.
btipling
2006-01-29 23:37:03 UTC
Don't vote for those that say there is no problem. Be an activist, and stay informed.
2006-01-29 23:02:31 UTC
Vote for democrates, otherwise, good luck trying, lol.
2006-01-31 03:08:50 UTC
Probably if we all go to Mars.
Trump 2020
2006-01-30 04:20:52 UTC