Question:
Why is American government seemingly oblivious to our economic situation with China?
Americaguy
2006-01-06 16:00:11 UTC
There is currently a several hundered billion dollar trade defficit between the US and china. Our current inflation is directly related to this, and we are effectively doing just what brought Rome down -- sending all of our money outside of the country. Why does our government not take action against this? America is collectively running out of money...
Eight answers:
otisabi
2006-01-06 16:12:57 UTC
Western Roman Empire was not brought down due to their Silk trade with China, although that played a major role in its regression. You probably heard of the vandals and vizigoths and all.

The reason why American Economy is dependent on China is pretty easy to answer. Go to your nearest Walmart, greatest retail store in the world. Observe the goods: 85 percent of them are made in China. You can buy them for very cheap. Hence you feel elevated, you think you live in the land of plenty. And you do. But it owes a lot to your dependence on Chinese cheap labor.

Of course China depends on foreign investment. Some say it needs US more than US needs China. It might be true. However as of now, the overall welfare and purchasing power of many Americans depend on China and other countries willing to offer their slave-like labor.

But you see, since they're like out where the dragons live, we don't really care. All we care is why America is collectively running out of money, which is ours to give.

We usually think about such issues while we are wearing cheap but quality denim made in China, sitting on a comfy chair made in China, and type our questions about such issues on keyboards made in China. And we probably won't believe the answers we receive appearing on our displays made in China.

We can not find an answer, really strange. I wish they manufacture an answer in China, ready for purchase at local Wal Mart for 19.99
shellfish
2006-01-09 02:46:09 UTC
For the past twenty-five years or so, a significant segment of the elite in the United States has decided to secure private wealth instead of maintaining the solvency of the federal government. This is done through things like tax cuts, subsidies to favorite corporations or lobbying clients, etc. As a result, the government has less money and must take on debt--because if the elite actually cut the services that they're necessitating the cuts for (see "starve the beast"), then they would have their hands full.

Part of this is also a protracted program of moving to a "post-industrial" economy--which is another way of saying that the manufacturing jobs are going to go overseas. What this leaves you with are extremely rich people with investments in other countries and everyone else, who will be providing services to them or trying to emigrate...to places like China.

But you shouldn't blame Chinese people. Basically, the answer to your quesiton is that the people in government believe they have more to gain from the current situation than they do from shoring up the economy or the finances of the U.S.
2006-01-11 14:34:16 UTC
Just to let ya know. China exploits its own people for itself. Allowing China to exploit its people for us makes no difference. As for the question. Elitest bastards hold no allegiance but to themselves and their elitest sub societies. Take a look at the English during the time of their empire. They were continually suffering from debt and inflation, but it didn't matter because the dudes in power were making lots of money off of their trading company and exploitations abroad. Nobody cares because nobody holds allegiance. If you wanted something else then you should have voted better.
jal
2006-01-08 10:30:39 UTC
if i were an american, i wouldnt be worried because, all those goods that are imported from china would be very unproductive and inefficient if it is produced in US.. which means that itis beneficial to ur economy..

besides where does all the research, technical know how and funds come from? America mostly.. in that case, america earns a lot from china's growth. and look at the no. of students who go to US to study, are they not giving income to US? and a rise in wealth of the pple means they have more disposable income to spend on Mc Donalds, buying Levis jeans, drinking pepsi etc. though an american produce is not sold, the firms are american to whom the profits and premiums go to, which again is a wealth creator for ur economy..
2016-11-11 08:40:30 UTC
a million) China, maybe. yet no longer India. 2) by way of who different than you? 3) that's flat out lie. 4) exciting share. that's concerning to the comparable share of Indians who stay in poverty, in under $a million.50 an afternoon. 5) incorrect back 6) do no longer you ever tire of being incorrect? BTW, how are issues for you in Australia?
auntiegrav
2006-01-07 15:16:03 UTC
They are not oblivious to it. Their friends are making trillions of dollars on it. The more that our big money men can exploit cheap labor and weak environmental regulations in other countries, the more they contribute to politicians who let them do it, and the more they advertise how great it is to get "Always Low Prices" at WalMart.....and the public keeps buying it. If you are concerned, you begin this way:

Buy less, Buy local, do things for yourself instead of using the slaves of petroleum and foreign workers to service your life.
mrscmmckim
2006-01-08 03:59:08 UTC
Look to Wal-Mart. Check the lables and you will see what the problem is. People are sheep being led to the slaughter.

Even Wal-Marts American flags are made in China. It makes me just want to cry.
Colman
2006-01-06 16:15:24 UTC
So, uh ... stop buying products made in China.