Question:
Can Knowledge Kill Us all?
jal
2006-01-05 19:07:51 UTC
I am referring to intellectual property.. Does it not lead to accumulation of wealth and income, thereby creating inequality? why should knowledge be treated as capital?
source: http://ipreco.blogspot.com
Seven answers:
Kristy
2006-01-05 19:15:44 UTC
Property doesn't necessarily mean happiness, we will all be equal in a way. Rewarding those with superior intelligence just makes sense. If they keep producing things that come from their intelligence, then funding that and their lifestyle is benificial to us all.
Monika Lewinskeeze
2006-01-05 19:22:43 UTC
Knowledge has been killing us, since the beginning of time. It seems to just get worse and worse. The people that do become wealthy, lose track of what this world is all about, and why they were put in it. All they care about is the dollar bill, and that's a sad and empty existence. When you learn that we are here to help the people around you, not to screw them over, no money in the world can replace your fulfillment, your happiness, and spiritual wealth. You go to sleep at night with no problems.
bennymonkey2001
2006-01-05 22:53:41 UTC
Knowledge is different than information. Knowledge can only be gained through discourse which inherntly requires argument. Not a fight over who wins, but an argument that negotiates pragmatic truths. Sure knowledge could be considered property, but as it is gained and built upon through diversity it is diversified.
sfangelsfangel
2006-01-06 04:17:53 UTC
Knowledge is a wonderful thing which saves us from ignorance but misuse of Knowledge could be dangerous to the whole planet. For example the knowledge of a toxic gas which could kill us in the hands of a person capable to use it to destroy us.
?
2006-01-05 19:11:01 UTC
So, what's wrong with accumulating wealth and income? Billions of people out there (including quite a few 'Comunists') are trying to do it every day!
Khristophoros the Wise
2006-01-05 19:10:10 UTC
Yes, knowing too much can definately have harmful drawbacks. Remember, there is a huge difference in being a smart man and a wise man. Perhaps we will realize that working to better ourselves will be much more effective than money and the accumilation of power.
2006-01-05 19:08:59 UTC
If it isn't then the only "property" consists of physical items. In other words you would not be paid for being a software engineer since you're not producing anything.

Marx was very pre-information age.